We’re off again to immerse ourselves in Oz from the safety of home. Join us August 6-8 for interviews, presentations, games, and fun. Enjoy our prerecorded programs all day, and join us live on Zoom evenings and Sunday afternoon.
Link to more detail about each of our topics from our Blog page. There’s a link to it in the navigation above.
Friday morning we’ll open eight topics on the Oz Club’s Official Youtube Channel at 8 am (Central):
- Non-fiction: the other Oz genre; meet five writers focusing on non-fiction Oz
- Bill Beem serves up a checklist of his massive Oz record collection
- Dan Olsofka of YellowBrickRoad.com leads you to Oz destinations around the US
- Tiffany (FollowTheYellowBrickGirl) & Tori Calamito talk about Oz Cosplay
- 64 years and counting, current Oz Club president Jane Albright shares Oz Club history
- Early Oz music box discs; Bill Campbell describes and plays those in his collection
- Cindy Ragni (Wonderful Books of Oz) shares favorites from her personal collection
- Go behind the Camera with the Louisiana Quadling to see how his Youtube programs are made.
Friday evening’s live events beginning at 5:30 central:
- Start your evening off with the Wizard of Oz Challenge on Kahootz!
- Next up is the first ever live stream of the Oz Club’s own Oz Talk program. Special guests Tara Tagliaferro and EmKay Shrader of The Yellow Brick Pod join our regular hosts Ryan Jay, Tori Calamito, Garrett Kilgore and Zoe O’Haillen-Berne. Youtube lets you participate live! We’ll also screen share on Zoom so you can see the show come together, but won’t get to be part of the interactivity.
- Try your knowledge and your luck with an Ozzy version of Bingo.
- Ryan Jay then shares his interview with David Shire, the composure of the score for Disney’s 1985 live-action film Return to Oz.
- Wrap up the night playing The Wonderful Game of Oz with friends, or hang out in the Zoom room to socialize. The board game calls for advance planning; if you’re interested, please see this blog.
Saturday morning we’ll add more programs on our YouTube channel at 8 am (central):
- Dina Schiff Massachi explores “Are You a Good Witch, or a Bad Witch”: What Glinda Teaches Us about Powerful Women
- Mikey Dee & Jane Albright share their International Oz collections
- Garrett Kilgore interviews Justin Peavy about the of the Wonderful Recap of Oz podcast
- The Baum Bugle: editor-in-chief Sarah K. Crotzer and past editors discuss the journal’s evolution
- The Music of “The Wiz” with Oz Club Vice President Ryan Bunch
- Creator PJ Scott-Blankenship invites you to “Hit the Bricks” with his radio-show-style Oz series
- “The Wizard 20Twenty” is a hip-hop passion project; meet the fan behind it with Ryan Jay
- Billy Ferguson has cosplayed Oz characters from L. Frank Baum to Miss Gulch; Jane Albright talks to him about costume creation
Saturday evening’s live program begins at 6 pm central…
- Open the evening with our Oz trivia version of Bingo
- Ryan Jay and Tori Calamito then share their interview Jessica Grové. Cast at age 15 as Dorothy in the all-star Madison Square Garden performance of The Wizard of Oz, it’s a good thing she kept the shoes because more than 20 years later she was called back to click her heels once again.
- Live streaming at 7 pm central, The Rainbow Puppets bring L. Frank Baum’s The Marvelous Land of Oz to life. The young and young-at-heart will love the puppetry. More seasoned fans will be delighted to hear the voices of Geoffrey Holder, Mickey Rooney, Meinhardt Raabe and other well-known Ozian celebrities in the cast.
- While we have your attention, it’s time to announce the recipient of the 2021 L. Frank Baum Memorial Award and the winners of the Oz Club’s annual contests.
- Round 2 of the Wizard of Oz Challenge on Kahoot!
- Wrap up the night playing the 1939 Game of The Wizard of Oz with friends, or hang out in the Zoom room to socialize. The board game calls for advance planning; if you’re interested, please see this blog.
Sunday Funday starting at 11 am central:
- .At 11 am (central) it’s a watchalong matinee of MGM’s classic film; you’ll need to play the film yourself on a second device while Tori Calamito leads our discussion of it over Youtube.
- Bring your brushes, paints, and canvas to our live painting party beginning at 1 o’clock (central).
From this point on, we aren’t scheduled against a clock since it’s hard to know just when the painting party will wrap up! Please join us — and be flexible.
- Our third and final Kahootz! Wizard of Oz Challenge steps up when our painting party wraps up; should be about 2 pm (central).
- Bring something for Oz show-and-tell! When we’re all participating from home, you have options you don’t have traveling to in-person events. Should be 2:30 (central).
- Our final round of Oz bingo is your last chance to win a prize. We’ll start once show-and-tell wraps up.
- Stick around to visit in the Zoom room or join friends to play Off To See the Wizard, a board game from the 1960s. The board game call for advance planning; if you’re interested, please see this blog.